Friday, November 2, 2012

All Saint's Day in Italia!! November 1st

Scusi the interruption of my discussion about exploring Siena to show you MY interpretation of a pumpkin I saw in the street while walking during my visit. It was outside this market..



I thought how cute....they've got a pumpkin all dressed up and in a shopping stroller and oh look, I said to myself, "It even must be saying Happy Halloween in Italian!".......wrong! Nada!  Just looked it up and it is translated to read: "and I also sell sliced" meaning, Come on in to the market and buy some sliced pumpkin!!!! Hahahahaha......and I thought I was doing so well in learning my new language! Hahahahahahaha!!

All Saints Day is a national holiday in Italy, known as Tutti i Santi or Ognissanti. Celebrated on Nov. 1, it begins on the evening of October 31, All Hallow's Eve, by indulging in a traditional harvest feast. Menu usually includes the new unfermented wine from the yrs harvest...and....roasted chestnuts. It is followed by All Souls Day which is a day devoted to honor loved ones who have passed away.

1 comment:

  1. Yes...your Italian needs a bit of work. But then, I thought the same thing. Love the basil (or bay?) leaves for the eyes...

    ReplyDelete